Bassmasta

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Because the original Bassmasta.net is going to be shut down, I am creating this forum to maybe keep the community the site has given us over the last years.

+2
Scott Anderson
oddball
6 posters

5 string bass

oddball
    oddball

5 string bass Empty 5 string bass

Post  oddball Sun May 08, 2011 5:29 pm

Any body else play a 5 string, would love it if you guys would post some 5 string tabs or hear what you play, since I dont own a 4 string I think 5 string tabs would be awsome pig
    Scott Anderson
    Scott Anderson

5 string bass Empty 5 String bass

Post  Scott Anderson Sun May 08, 2011 5:59 pm

I have a 6 string bass, and I love the extra range that the extra strings give compared to a normal 4 string bass.

I have one 5 string tab, it's Cochise by Audioslave. Reply if you want it, and I'll e-mail it to you.
    pH

5 string bass Empty Re: 5 string bass

Post  pH Sun May 08, 2011 9:08 pm

I want to get a 5 string bass with the neck through the body, I played one and it was a bassgasm, far warmer sound than my bolt-on four string
    Sykk
    Sykk

Post  Sykk Sun May 08, 2011 11:17 pm

I have a 5 string too. I posted a Mudvayne song and a Dream Theater and some other band.
    oddball
    oddball

Post  oddball Mon May 09, 2011 4:24 am

email is johnymartin667@yahoo.com , and ive seen the mudvayne tab and the vid not sure im there yet, havent got the slappin and poppin thing yet .

almost cut my thumb off a few years ago so my tendons are messed up , I like playin with my fingers the most.
    Dave Bennington
    Dave Bennington

Post  Dave Bennington Mon May 09, 2011 8:32 am

Scott Anderson wrote:I have a 6 string bass, and I love the extra range that the extra strings give compared to a normal 4 string bass.

I have one 5 string tab, it's Cochise by Audioslave. Reply if you want it, and I'll e-mail it to you.

Dude, a six string bass? That's mint. I love like the sound of a low b string but 5 strings are harder to play, I had a jam on my bass teacher's 5 string and I was quite happy to get back onto my 4.
    oddball
    oddball

Post  oddball Mon May 09, 2011 5:11 pm

depends on what your used to i think ,I started on my 5 string so a 4 feels weird even though most of the time I play it like a four, just feels strange without my b string

Dave Bennington wrote:
    Scott Anderson wrote:I have a 6 string bass, and I love the extra range that the extra strings give compared to a normal 4 string bass.

Dude, a six string bass? That's mint. I love like the sound of a low b string but 5 strings are harder to play, I had a jam on my bass teacher's 5 string and I was quite happy to get back onto my 4.
    Scott Anderson
    Scott Anderson

Post  Scott Anderson Wed May 11, 2011 7:36 pm

oddball wrote:depends on what your used to i think ,I started on my 5 string so a 4 feels weird even though most of the time I play it like a four, just feels strange without my b string

Dave Bennington wrote:

I love the B string so much, because I tend to play more songs that need it, like Dream Theater songs, Korn songs, etc.
    oddball
    oddball

Post  oddball Wed May 11, 2011 8:21 pm

yup I work it into songs that are normaly played on the E ,some times it works some time it dont
    Sykk
    Sykk

Post  Sykk Thu May 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Idk most bands that use 5 strings slap. You could always just play the slap lines finger style instead.
    oddball
    oddball

Post  oddball Fri May 13, 2011 1:31 am

Yea , it sux that I cant slap yet but im sorta working on it.
    Were playing alot of Zeppelin right now so theres no need to slap or pop.

But it is something I want to learn.
    Sykk
    Sykk

Post  Sykk Fri May 13, 2011 3:11 am

Well go for it. If it messes up ur thumb that bad they have thumb guards for it and alternative slapping techniques. 5 string songs are hard to find and half of them slap. I think Dream Theater uses a 6 but you could play it on a 5, i know i do. If you can't keep up with the speed just slow it down and work up. I posted 2 or 3 songs by them.
    oddball
    oddball

Post  oddball Fri May 13, 2011 6:09 am

Im gonna work on that ,and my finger technique , and stuff this summer.

Im going up a canyon sunday to work for a geologic feild station, be up there working 12-15 hours a day for three months, just me and my bass and alot of work lol.
    Sykk
    Sykk

Post  Sykk Sat May 14, 2011 2:31 am

cool. how long have you been playing?
    oddball
    oddball

Post  oddball Sat May 14, 2011 7:29 pm

got a bass and drum set when I was 12 , but never took it serious ,just wanted to play guitar , so ive been noodling for years but never realy played ,im 30 now but been playing just my bass for about 2 months,

Went to a band practice with my neighbor to get guitar lessons , and they handed me a bass to mess with since there was no bass player (they have 3 basses) and I played the whole practice on bass , so I became the bass player in 1 night lol.

But I like playing bass better than guitar now so im gonna stick with it,worlds full of shitty guitar players no need for 1 more.
    Sykk
    Sykk

Post  Sykk Sat May 14, 2011 8:24 pm

oddball wrote:got a bass and drum set when I was 12 , but never took it serious ,just wanted to play guitar , so ive been noodling for years but never realy played ,im 30 now but been playing just my bass for about 2 months,

Went to a band practice with my neighbor to get guitar lessons , and they handed me a bass to mess with since there was no bass player (they have 3 basses) and I played the whole practice on bass , so I became the bass player in 1 night lol.

But I like playing bass better than guitar now so im gonna stick with it,worlds full of shitty guitar players no need for 1 more.

cool i've been playing for a year now.
    oddball
    oddball

Post  oddball Sat May 14, 2011 10:57 pm

its only been a few month realy for me but ive at least messed with one alittle.
    Mickie
    Mickie

5 string bass Empty 5 string bass

Post  Mickie Mon May 16, 2011 5:52 pm

I play one too but I also have a standard one so I can play more.
    oddball
    oddball

Post  oddball Tue May 17, 2011 11:45 pm

Mickie wrote:I play one too but I also have a standard one so I can play more.
    we have 3 standard 4 string basses , but I just play my 5 ,the string spacing on a 4 feels wrong to me since ive been playing my 5 so much.

And the Ibanez sr's are none to have a thin fast kneck (I love it).
    Was looking at getting a Fender jazz v 5 string but the kneck felt like a 2x4 in my hands.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:21 am